Welcome and thank you for visiting my blog! As many of you know, I graduated from Dartmouth in June and was selected to be a Grassroot Soccer field intern. Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is a South-African based NGO founded by former professional soccer players. It intergrates the cross-cultural appeal of soccer with evidence-based HIV prevention and life skills programs that arm African youth with the knowledge, skills, and support to live HIV free. Translating research into action and leveraging the excitement around the 2010 World Cup, GRS attracts and engages African youth through schools, community outreach, and social multimedia. It is focused around the realization that the true power of soccer has always been connections that it creates between people. By using soccer players as role models, and the popularity of soccer to engage hard to reach young people, GRS combines social theory, public health methodologies, rigorous evaluation, and a huge dose of passion. Since 2003, over 270,000 youth in 16 countries have received comprehensive HIV prevention education through programs linked to GRS. By bringing the model to scale through innovative and sustainable partnerships, GRS aims to educate many more by World Cup 2010.

I am truly passionate about this cause and organization. However, in order to participate as an intern, I have been asked to raise $10,000 to cover my living expenses and I am currently $2,000 short of my goal. Please consider supporting me in the fight against HIV/AIDS and making a tax-deductible donation with the icon below. Thank you for the support and I hope you continue to follow this blog as I post updates throughout my internship.

Donate Now!

$

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Last day in Cape Town

Today was the last day of training/fun in Cape Town with the other interns. We spent the afternoon in Khayelitsha, a township outside the city. The township consists of row after row of tin shacks that are estimated to house between 400,000 and 1 million people in total. I've seen similar living conditions in the Dominican Republic, but I was surprised by the paved rather than dirt roads in the township. All of the people we passed were friendly and the kids loved to smile and wave at us. A group of young men in their twenties, who are part of an organization called Ambitious Youth, gave us a tour of the township. It was great to meet young people who want to make a difference in their community. Following the tour, we split into teams and played a small-sided soccer tournament. My team was able to lose all four games, but still have a good time.

The field we used for the tournament was pretty amazing. It was made of turf and located in the back of a school. The community was really excited about it and I could see why when we visited the site of the old field, which looked more like a flooded dump than a soccer field. The turf field is part of an organization called CTC Ten, which was started in memory of a Franklin and Marshall soccer player who passed away a few days before preseason of his senior year. I like that CTC Ten is playing a long-term role in maintaining the field. The field is open all day for kids and at night can be used for adult games. Already, I have realized the power that soccer has to bring people together.

I'm most likely leaving for Kimberley tomorrow morning with Lindsey and Hooter in our new car. I'll definitely miss Cape Town and the rest of the interns, but I'm excited for the work ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment